Saturday, September 25, 2010

Well shut my mouth!

I'm on chapter 4 of Dead Until Dark and only a couple of pages in (not a whole lot happening, the town is split over the murders and half suspect Bill is the murderer, even Jason, and Sook's getting ready to go to Fangtasia I think) but I took a brief interlude into my fave era-PRECODE films. There's a reason I love pre-codes-you get the modernism of today combined with the storytelling and actors of yesterday in black and white. I cant get enough. Saw a gem today: Union Depot. It stars Douglas Fairbanks Jr. (So cute and I think all of 22) and Joan Blondell (awesome pre-code actress). I thought I'd seen it all and that most plots were the same-then I saw this film and remembered that most films like that are from the code enforced era. Its so good and surprising-a must see as I highly recommend it!  I got it from warnerarchive.com. The movies are overpriced but at the same time you really cant get them anywhere else save for a youtube channel (before it gets deleted) or tcm(they like to play it safe and rarely show pre-codes) so as a fan of the era there arent a lot of options. Yay for digital download as I dont have patience to wait for a dvd in the mail. Also purchased my first Joan Crawford film, Forsaking all Others which co-stars Clark Gable and Robert Montgomery. I'm not really a Crawford fan, I've only ever seen her in Grand Hotel and while I liked that film (Union Depot is just as good btw) and in The Women (she didnt play a sympathetic character)  I must say I'm put off by mommie dearest. Its terrible if she treated her daughter like that, if its true. However she starred in quite a few pre-codes and since I love the era I may just have to put her personal life aside and just enjoy Joan Crawford the actress. I havent seen the film but based on reviews I've read it should make me a fan. I'm still in awe of Union Depot though-so unexpectedly good-I love when a film's like that. Is it weird that I have a crush on Douglas Fairbanks Jr now? LOL.
<3
Melissa

2 comments:

  1. Don't be put off by Mommie Dearest! It's such a tragedy that when people hear the name Joan Crawford it's the first thing they think of.

    You can definitely get hold of the movies on the internet by downloading them. Just look around! Letty Lynton is a great pre-code Crawford movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found your blog from a link on,I think, ImDB.You were commenting on Anita page. Was quite suprised that someone half my age has developed such and appreciation for old films. I'm just rediscovering the thirties since we got TCM a few months ago.I like the quick wit and humoup of the old comedies...and that "time machine" feeling of climbing through a secret window into another world and seeing things as they once were.
    I seem to have gone entirely retro over the last few years. Always had a taste for that, the old days...more genuine. Haven't read a new book in years..well, maybe a couple. but mostly victorian and edwardian period stuff, old adventure stories and especially old travel writting. Just started reading "Ruggles of Red Gap" Very P. G. wWodehouse, as if Bertie had lost Jeeves in a poker game to a rich american cowboy. funny.
    Anyhow, was going to say that there are some bit torrent sources for old films. Free, but you usually do have to sign up for a membership. tv-vault.org and iloveclassics.com had lots of stuff.

    ReplyDelete